Sunday 7 March 2010

Free chickens (in Belgium)



My house mate Andy told me a while ago about a story that was on the BBC news website about chickens:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8539877.stm


I know it was while ago, but I kept meaning to write about it but first of all wanted to tell you about my chickens.

So to the story....

In Belgium they are offering two chickens to families to help "publicise alternative methods of waste management."

(As chickens can eat many things such as potatoes and pasta - more of this to come on a later blog)


However they are told if they take part they cannot eat the chickens for two years.
"Local officials are stressing that applicants could gain a supply of free, fresh eggs."

Even though I don't like chickens I think that this is a good idea. And I just wanted to spread the Belgium chicken joy! SO DON'T EAT YOUR CHICKENS....YOU WILL NEED THEM ON THAT COLD DAY- when you fancy a boiled egg and soldiers!

2 comments:

  1. I think this is such a good idea! I had no idea chickens ate stuff like pasta and potatoes that's really interesting! Anything to help cut down on household waste is a good thing I'm sure the government can spare a few chickens for each household!

    I wish they would do that over here, I'd love to have my own chickens -endless supplies of eggs yum! I definitely wouldn't kill them after 2 years as much as I love chicken to eat I couldn't bring myself to kill one that I had befriended it's just mean!

    Looking forward to the egg recipes on here too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello faye!

    I just wanted to say that this blog has not only cheered me up to the up most, but the amount of times I have tried to get the perfect boiled egg and it coming out like a ball of half slop, half boiled eggy mess, its countless. So thanks to your recipe I did get the perfect boiled egg! no more sloppy eggs for me.

    Also, i really do think it's great that the importance and value of the egg has been brought back into the lime light. Its yet another one of the things we are so lucky to have readily available without barley knowing where it has come from. and now I do.

    I've had so much fun reading your blog and it has been interesting and really entertaining. The next time i dunk my soldiers into my perfectly boiled egg, and spread my home made mayo onto my ham sandwich, I shall be thinking of this wonderful blog and the stories you have to tell.

    Thank you faye and good look with your chickens!
    May they lay many more little eggs for you!

    ReplyDelete